ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server FAQKB Solution ID: SOLN2404|Last Revised: March 27, 2015
- New features
- Upgrade from an earlier version to the latest version and receive a new license
- Operating system and version requirements
- Available languages
- What is ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server?
ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server (EMSX) integrates server-side antispam features and protects both the Exchange mailboxes and the host server environment from malware attacks. For more information on ESET Mail Security, visit the following product page:
- What are the key new features and benefits of ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server?
New features of ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server:
- Support for Windows Server 2012
- Support for Microsoft Exchange 2013
- AS settings migrated into GUI (no need to manually modify SpamCatcher.conf file anymore)
- Added native support for ESET Remote Administrator version 5
- Added eShell
- Added Migration Wizard for settings (from v4.2/4.3 to 4.5)
Changelog for Exchange Server: Visit the previous link for the detailed changelogs for version 4.5 and all earlier versions.
- Is there a change in pricing between earlier versions and ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server?
There is no change in pricing.
- How do I upgrade from an earlier version to ESET Mail Security 4.x for Microsoft Exchange Server and is there an upgrade fee?
An existing customer of an earlier version of EMSX will be able to upgrade to the latest EMSX for free. We recommend uninstalling an earlier version of ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server before installing version 4.5 but it is not required.
For customers upgrading from ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 for Microsoft Exchange Server to ESET Mail Security 4.x for Microsoft Exchange Server, please visit the following ESET Knowledgebase article:
- What are the recommended settings for ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server installed on a server?
Earlier versions of ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server recommended implementing "best practices" settings for servers. These settings are not needed for ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server as this version automatically deploys these settings by default.
- Installing on Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
You must install ESET Mail Security on a system running Microsoft Exchange 2013 with Mailbox server role. Client Access server role is not supported by ESET Mail Security.
- Will an ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server license work with an earlier version?
Yes, the new license is backwards compatible.
- How many licenses has ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server used?
In order to determine the number of licenses that have been used by ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange server, please see the following Knowledgebase article:
- I installed ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server and my antispam module will not activate
You must request a new license file. Visit the Lost License page and enter your product username, or your email address that was used to purchase the license. You may also contact your ESET representative.
- What operating systems are supported?
EMSX supports Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64), 2008 (x86 and x64), 2008 R2, 2012
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, 2011
- What versions of Microsoft Exchange Server are supported?
This product supports the same versions of Microsoft Exchange as its predecessor, plus later versions:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 SP1, SP2, SP3 (32-bit version)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP1, SP2 (32-bit version)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 SP1, SP2, SP3 (64-bit version)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1, SP2, SP3
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- I am running two Exchange Servers, one primary server with transport roles and a secondary server as a mail store. Do I need EMSX installed on both?
Yes. In general, it is recommended to install EMSX if there is an Exchange Server running on the machine.
EMSX offers two types of protection, one on Transport Layer (Server 1 with “transport role”) and one on database level (Server 2 based on VSAPI). On VSAPI, only antivirus protection is offered. The advantage of this functionality is that email messages stored on the mailbox server are always scanned with the newest antivirus database “on read”, and also periodically, if background scanning is enabled. On the first server, they are scanned only “upon arrival” (this is where antispam takes place).
With our licensing, users purchase protection for a certain number of mailboxes, and you are able to install it on all servers within your site (both Mailbox/Edge/Hub).
- Is ESET Mail Security 4.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server available in multiple languages?
Localized builds are available from the "Select language" drop-down menu on the EMSX Download page.
- Is there an in-product quarantine for spam in ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server?
No. There is no in-product quarantine for spam messages in the current version of EMSX.