How do I safely upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 with ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed?KB Solution ID: SOLN2291|Last Revised: September 28, 2011
To safely upgrade to Windows 7, please follow the steps below to download the latest ESET product installer, uninstall your current ESET security product, upgrade your Microsoft operating system from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and then reinstall your ESET security product.
- Download the latest version of ESET Smart Security before you uninstall your current version so you will not have to browse the Internet without Personal firewall protection. Save the installer to your Desktop:
- When your installer file finishes downloading, uninstall ESET Smart Security by clicking Start All Programs ESET Uninstall. After you uninstall, you will need to restart your computer.
- After restarting, confirm that you can see hidden files and folders by clicking Start Control Panel Appearance and Personalizations Show hidden files and folders under Folder Options and select the Show hidden files and folders option.
- Click Start My Computer. Navigate to and delete the following folders:
If the above folders are not found, proceed to step 5.
- Upgrade your operating system from Windows Vista to Windows 7 by following the instructions provided by Microsoft:
- After you have successfully upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and have restarted your computer, navigate to your saved installer on the Desktop and double-click it to open.
- Refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase article for step-by-step instructions on installing ESET Smart Security: